The Sh33p's Fluff Message Board

A place for gathering wool...
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I wuz robbed
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:39 pm 
Sh34r Excellence
Sh34r Excellence

Someone keeps stealing all my rubber door wedges. They stole four of them in three days. Yes, they stole two in one day.

Why does this matter? Well, the apartment building I dwell in has one common street door. That door automatically closes and locks if it's not propped open.

Visitors are supposed to be "buzzed" in electronically. I mean someone buzzes a tenant's buzzer, and the tenant pushes a button that electronically unlocks the street door. That's how it's supposed to work in theory, anyway. In practice it's a little different.

Anyway, almost every day I either have to carry bulky, heavy thins in or out the front door, and either down or up three flights of stairs. This place is so septic I won't set anything of value down in order to unlock/unlatch the door, going out or coming in.

So, to move smoothly in and out with heavy, bulky items, I first go down and prop open the door, with a rubber door wedge. I've had to buy close to a dozen of the things this year alone to replace those that were stolen. The cost is starting to add up.

Friday as I was coming down the stairs to leave, I saw that the door was already propped open. Guess what it was propped open with? A recent vintage military MOLLE "plate carrier" -- that is, body armor, much like this

http://www.rothco.com/upload/product/pr ... 8928-B.jpg

but with numerous ammunition magazine pouches attached. All the pouches I could see had magazines sticking out of them, both what looked like 30-round AR-15 rifle magazines and Glock pistol magazines. The vest was sort of, well, *wedged* up under the door.

This was some expensive equipment, and I sure would not have treated it that way if it has been mine. Clearly this fellow does not believe in babying his gear.

This warlike gear belonged to the part-time live-in boyfriend of a girl who lives on the basement level. He's a big, muscular, heavily-tattooed guy who claims to be a Marine veteran of either Iraq or Afghanistan.

Once last year I encountered him on the front porch dressed in full camouflage and with his face painted black. I have also previously observed him openly wearing a pistol, a .40 caliber Glock Model 22, I believe. Which is actually perfectly legal in my state. I mean, open carry is legal here with no need for a permit, and I do not object to it.

He and she and a couple of friends and their dog(s) were apparently getting ready to go on some kind of outing, and they were loading stuff into the guy's giant monster truck.

It's a little puzzling why that guy's not in jail after an ugly incident here last weekend when he and one of his drinking buddies openly brandished weapons in the parking lot and threatened some passing neighborhood kids.

This was the same night I posted something elsewhere to the effect that "The assembled drunkards are yelling louder than usual outside in the parking lot tonight. Something's going on, but I am following a strict non-interventionist policy tonight."

The live-in boyfriend dude is alleged to have actually pointed his rifle at some kids, though the other guy with him just displayed his. According to the neighbors' accounts, he also shouted racial epithets at them. Yes, the dreaded n-word.

There was quite an uproar over all this and the one guy was actually arrested and taken away by the city cops, but was released and returned that same night.

His weapon was not confiscated and he was only charged with public intoxication, though I'd say he could have been charged with, let's see (counting on fingers), either wanton or reckless endangerment, terroristic threatening, menacing, possibly some degree of assault, and disturbing the peace, as well as merely being drunk.

Why he was not charged with any or all of those offenses is a strange thing to me.

Anyway, after he'd collected his MOLLE vest and numerous attached ammo magazines from the feces-coated porch, and he and his entourage had shoved off to go "mudding" or whatever in his monster truck, I saw that yet another door wedge of mine had vanished.

So I bought another replacement yesterday, but not another rubber one. This time I paid $11.63 for a solid steel splitting wedge, designed to be pounded into logs and stumps with a sledge hammer to split them. I guess it weighed about three pounds (1.3608 kilos).

I now basically know who's been stealing all my wedges, and why they're doing it. This heavy steel replacement is meant to impress upon them that they are stealing something real and substantial, and really costing someone money he can ill afford.

I mean I hope to convey that this is true theft, and NOT a victimless crime. There actually IS an injured party in this case, and he is me.

Cross

"The practical reason for freedom is that freedom seems to be the only condition under which any kind of substantial moral fiber can be developed — we have tried law, compulsion and authoritarianism of various kinds, and the result is nothing to be proud of." -- Albert Jay Nock, "On Doing the Right Thing", in The American Mercury (1925)

‎"Men in a state of decadence employ professionals to fight for them, professionals to dance for them, and a professional to rule them." -- G.K. Chesterton

"No man is so exquisitely honest or upright in living, but that ten times in his life he might not lawfully be hanged." -- Montaigne

"But to live outside the law, you must be honest." -- Bob Dylan

"Unjust laws can be altered, as well as made. There's a new spirit in the world. Taxed out of existence, robbed of their independence by the government, the people must fight back how they can. What we're doing here is just a pin-prick. But a thousand pin-pricks put together ... " -- Christopher Syn

"Not in the flight of thought, but in the act alone is there freedom" - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire ... Must be a yearning deep in the human heart to stop other people from doing as they please. Rules, laws — always for the other fellow." -- Robert Heinlein