The Sh33p's Fluff Message Board

A place for gathering wool...
It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:29 pm 
Sh34r Excellence
Sh34r Excellence

Did anyone honestly not know that Jeff "Ahmygodess" Gregory was my friend (arguably my first-ever Internet friend)? Did they think I did not mourn his death?

Did anyone honestly think I did not grieve over William "Guy" "Deceleraptor" Payne's death? (He was also one of the very few who ever called me a friend, though this seems to have been forgotten, if it was ever known).

It has often seemed to me that I have been made out to be (and maybe even believed to be) some kind of cold, unfeeling creature. I am certainly not a saint, but I am a flesh and blood human being.

Cross

"The practical reason for freedom is that freedom seems to be the only condition under which any kind of substantial moral fiber can be developed — we have tried law, compulsion and authoritarianism of various kinds, and the result is nothing to be proud of." -- Albert Jay Nock, "On Doing the Right Thing", in The American Mercury (1925)

‎"Men in a state of decadence employ professionals to fight for them, professionals to dance for them, and a professional to rule them." -- G.K. Chesterton

"No man is so exquisitely honest or upright in living, but that ten times in his life he might not lawfully be hanged." -- Montaigne

"But to live outside the law, you must be honest." -- Bob Dylan

"Unjust laws can be altered, as well as made. There's a new spirit in the world. Taxed out of existence, robbed of their independence by the government, the people must fight back how they can. What we're doing here is just a pin-prick. But a thousand pin-pricks put together ... " -- Christopher Syn

"Not in the flight of thought, but in the act alone is there freedom" - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire ... Must be a yearning deep in the human heart to stop other people from doing as they please. Rules, laws — always for the other fellow." -- Robert Heinlein

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:52 pm 
Sh34r Excellence
Sh34r Excellence

I think about everyone who knows you knows you got along well with (and I believed visited face to face) both Jeff and Guy.

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things: One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love." ~Butch Hancock

"A penis was not meant to go into a man's butt, but rather a womens." --excerpt from an illiterate rant to a gay rights page

"if you consider the fact that cats and dogs are of the same species you would still find it odd if a cat acted like a dog now wouldn't you" --from the same rant as above

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:17 am 
Sh34r Excellence
Sh34r Excellence

No, regrettably, I never met either in the flesh, but did often speak to them by phone, and also carried on some correspondence by old fashioned snail-mail, as well as e-mail of course.

Whatsisname, "Scissors McGillicutty" (sp.?) did go down from New York or wherever he lived to see Guy after Guy had a stroke and was put in a nursing home in Alabama, and "Scissors" visited or liaisoned with Jeff in Georgia, and the three of us were for a time working on putting something together for Guy.

Being already unable to travel then, my role in that was pretty minor and peripheral. I contributed a little money, and I do mean very little, since I was still pretty broke then. I think most of what I chipped in went to defray some of Jeff's travel expenses when he too went to visit guy in the home. But somehow, between us, we managed to arrange a laptop computer for Guy.

In all this "Scissors" did the bulk of the heavy lifting and contributed by far the lion's share of the funding, and I admired him for that. Unfortunately, very soon thereafter, he turned against me in pretty big way, for reasons still not entirely clear to me, except that we had strong disagreements about politics (something I seldom take very personally, unless someone else makes it personal).

I remember him saying something to me about how he'd once thought I had a shred of decency, but now he knew better, or words to that general effect. And, apart from the political disagreements and arguments, I had no clue what he was talking about. I think this was right before or right after Guy died.

If I remember correctly, Scissors made a big deal of quitting this board and going away mad just because he couldn't quite persuade Deref to ban me from it too. Or I think that's what I was told.

I had been making up little care packages (mostly books and also some hand-squeezer-type exercise equipment I wanted him to try to rehabilitate his bad arm with) for Guy on my own, as and when I could afford it, and was working on getting him a compact bookshelf that would fit into a corner for him, that I was going to have shipped down there.

And I had already sent Guy a dinosaur plushie to replace the one that was stolen, though from what he told me on the phone the company botched the order and sent him the wrong dinosaur. It was supposed to be another Velociraptor, and I think they mistakenly sent him something like a Pterodactyl instead. I think I was still trying to get all that straightened out too when he died.

I had also spent some time on the phone with some of the nursing home staff, trying to encourage them to treat Guy better and be a little more understanding. My impression was that at least some of the staff there didn't like their jobs, didn't want to be there, and resented Guy in particular because he was so heavy and hard to move. At one point I even darkly hinted to them that Guy was "not just some ordinary nameless guy; he has friends." I tried to make it sound like he was in the Mafia or something.

Anyway, things have lately gone from bad to worse here, and I am only a little better off now than they were. It's a long story, pretty much all the same old stuff, but magnified, amplified, juiced up. well, this lung/breathing problem seems new. I guess it's some kind of bronchitis, which I rarely get.

I only occasionally come back here now. I've started spending most of my online time elsewhere, where, believe it or not, some of my contributions are actually appreciated, sometimes. Or at least someone sees them, even if they don't like them. Well, there was one person's page I voluntarily bowed out of when I realized that a lot of his disciples or acolytes were not people of good will, and maybe he wasn't either. One lesson I have learned is that there is not much future in hanging around with nasty, malicious people, online or in person.

Cross

"The practical reason for freedom is that freedom seems to be the only condition under which any kind of substantial moral fiber can be developed — we have tried law, compulsion and authoritarianism of various kinds, and the result is nothing to be proud of." -- Albert Jay Nock, "On Doing the Right Thing", in The American Mercury (1925)

‎"Men in a state of decadence employ professionals to fight for them, professionals to dance for them, and a professional to rule them." -- G.K. Chesterton

"No man is so exquisitely honest or upright in living, but that ten times in his life he might not lawfully be hanged." -- Montaigne

"Unjust laws can be altered, as well as made. There's a new spirit in the world. Taxed out of existence, robbed of their independence by the government, the people must fight back how they can. What we're doing here is just a pin-prick. But a thousand pin-pricks put together ... " -- Christopher Syn

"Not in the flight of thought, but in the act alone is there freedom" - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire ... Must be a yearning deep in the human heart to stop other people from doing as they please. Rules, laws — always for the other fellow." -- Robert Heinlein

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:01 am 
Sh34r Excellence
Sh34r Excellence

Tune it at about 25:15 and at about 28:00 on the video clock counter, to get an idea what my relationship with my slumdlord's "maintenance" henchmen is like.

The main difference is that I'm actually pretty secure here at night. They only come around to plague me in daylight, the earlier the better.

One of them -- a hillbilly with a spray can of insecticide -- was just up here banging on the door thirty minutes ago.

I played possum -- kept real quiet and didn't answer the door. When he moved on to another apartment I got up and braced the already double-locked, double- chained, and wedged door with this thing I have that resembles the old "Fox Police Lock."

You jam it up under the doorknob and then push down a lever that extends it so that it braces the door against the floor, diagonally. When you tighten it the door frame creaks. It's the same principle as jamming a straight-backed chair under a doorknob, but it works better. This is supposed to resist at least 1,000 pounds of force.

Of course, they *could* always just crash right through the wall, which is only drywall. That's what *I* would do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibnpEk4hdjo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:07 pm 
Sh34r Excellence
Sh34r Excellence

I contributed to Guy getting a new laptop as well.

As for neighborhood nuisances I just got annoyed by someone driving around the block in a truck louder than a dirt bike! Gods, that was annoying. I really don't understand the love for such noise. But at least we don't get bothered much.

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things: One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love." ~Butch Hancock

"A penis was not meant to go into a man's butt, but rather a womens." --excerpt from an illiterate rant to a gay rights page

"if you consider the fact that cats and dogs are of the same species you would still find it odd if a cat acted like a dog now wouldn't you" --from the same rant as above

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:10 pm 
Sh33p Pig
Sh33p Pig

Location: That forgotten spot behind the sofa where I was accidentally kicked by Real Life's left hind leg
I remember.

Because we know instinctively as a people that if we are to get through the darkness and back into the light we have to work together. And the truth is, there will always be darkness. And sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel isn’t the promised land. Sometimes it’s just New Jersey. But we do it anyway, together.

-Jon Stewart

"We have a right to fight for our country - the same as every other American. We will not go away."

-Col. A.J. Bullard (Terrence Howard), Red Tails

"If we can't protect the Earth - you can be damn well sure we'll avenge it."

-Tony Stark/Iron Man (Robert Downey, Jr.), The Avengers

"Sometimes you have to spontaneously break into song - right?" - Mack, from Teen Beach 2

The PSI Corps is your friend. Trust The Corps.