The Sh33p's Fluff Message Board

A place for gathering wool...
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:42 am 
Slum Lord
Slum Lord

We stopped for some grub at a place called Ruby's. Ruby, who may or may not have taken his love to town, died some years ago, but his family seems to own all the places in the little town of Bryce Canyon. We were taken to a table, sat down, perused the menu, got up and left. Ruby's hotel and restaurant are next door; they were described by someone on Travel Advisor as "...having all the rustic charm of a truck stop". (Although any truck stop would have better food and better ambience.)

Anyway, as we walked out we passed a section where you could buy booze, but it was closed. "Odd", we thought.

We drove to the little town of Tropic to our delightful (really) cabin at Bryce Country Cabins and went into town for supplies.

Australians all know the song "The Pub With No Beer", a humorous lament about the unheard-of situation described in the title. In Australia, even the tiniest towns have at least two pubs. Tropic has none. True. None. No pubs or bars. None at all. The general store has no booze. It does, however, offer free copies of the Book of Mormon, as does the reception at the Cabins.

It's a good thing that I still have some Canadian whiskey left. It's surprisingly good. The Mrs doesn't like whiskey, so it's a dry night for her.

Let me know if you'd like some photos.

"A great deal of Security is unfortunately just like the underwear of Brittany Spears. If it's even there at all, it is needlessly complex and frilly; looks good without actually covering much; and is far to easy to get around or remove completely."
- David Boston

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:23 pm 
Sh34r Excellence
Sh34r Excellence

Ugh. I can relate only too well. And we only have a few Mormons around here.

Well, more than you'd think, really. I knew a couple of Mormon girls in college, and I think I had a slight crush on the one who worked in the video store. She was a dead ringer for old-time film star Norma Shearer.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... wFg&dur=73

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... Dw&dur=690

But they are not a dominant majority or anything. That would be the Baptists, I guess, "which I'm," as the Dog in the Foghorn Leghorn cartoons said of himself. Nominally, anyway.

Cross

"The practical reason for freedom is that freedom seems to be the only condition under which any kind of substantial moral fiber can be developed — we have tried law, compulsion and authoritarianism of various kinds, and the result is nothing to be proud of." -- Albert Jay Nock, "On Doing the Right Thing", in The American Mercury (1925)

‎"Men in a state of decadence employ professionals to fight for them, professionals to dance for them, and a professional to rule them." -- G.K. Chesterton

"No man is so exquisitely honest or upright in living, but that ten times in his life he might not lawfully be hanged." -- Montaigne

"But to live outside the law, you must be honest." -- Bob Dylan

"Unjust laws can be altered, as well as made. There's a new spirit in the world. Taxed out of existence, robbed of their independence by the government, the people must fight back how they can. What we're doing here is just a pin-prick. But a thousand pin-pricks put together ... " -- Christopher Syn

"Not in the flight of thought, but in the act alone is there freedom" - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire ... Must be a yearning deep in the human heart to stop other people from doing as they please. Rules, laws — always for the other fellow." -- Robert Heinlein

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:16 am 
Electric Sh33p
Electric Sh33p

Yes, more photos. It's amusing that you didn't know about Utah-they have other strange laws regarding foreigners in addition to the alcohol restrictions. Don't speed or you may find yourself forced to copulate with a woolly sh33p at gunpoint while an all-too interested judge fondles himself while reading from the Book of Mormon. :o

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:09 am 
Slum Lord
Slum Lord

Bliss Ticks wrote:
Yes, more photos. It's amusing that you didn't know about Utah-they have other strange laws regarding foreigners in addition to the alcohol restrictions. Don't speed or you may find yourself forced to copulate with a woolly sh33p at gunpoint while an all-too interested judge fondles himself while reading from the Book of Mormon. :o

:lol: I'd class that as one of the less weird things about them.

OK - some photos of Bryce Canyon...

Note the chemtrails. :?

Want to see some of Zion?

"A great deal of Security is unfortunately just like the underwear of Brittany Spears. If it's even there at all, it is needlessly complex and frilly; looks good without actually covering much; and is far to easy to get around or remove completely."
- David Boston

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:15 am 
Electric Sh33p
Electric Sh33p

Excellent-Capitol Reef is another good spot in that region. Chemtrails are omnipresent wherever you go in the west. Keep posting.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:23 am 
Electric Sh33p
Electric Sh33p

Also, if you are headed south to AZ, swing by here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_City,_Arizona

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:25 am 
Slum Lord
Slum Lord

:-) Thanks - will get there if time allows.

Today we're off to Kodachrome Basin and the Petrified forest.

- David Boston

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:10 am 
Electric Sh33p
Electric Sh33p

Advice: Don't get off the trail in order to take pics of the petroglyphs and make sure to get a pic of the ruined dinosaurs out front and the skeletons in the visitors center. Also, the entire area is pretty much Native American culture-the real deal-so soak that in too. I spent 2 days hiking deep into the Painted Desert-it was like being on Mars.
If you go south on 77 from Winslow you will go through the Salt River Canyon, which is one of the best scenic drives in the US, IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:57 am 
Slum Lord
Slum Lord

Bliss Ticks wrote:
Advice: Don't get off the trail in order to take pics of the petroglyphs and make sure to get a pic of the ruined dinosaurs out front and the skeletons in the visitors center. Also, the entire area is pretty much Native American culture-the real deal-so soak that in too. I spent 2 days hiking deep into the Painted Desert-it was like being on Mars.
If you go south on 77 from Winslow you will go through the Salt River Canyon, which is one of the best scenic drives in the US, IMO.

Holy guacamole!!!

You're right - Capitol Reef is astounding! In fact the whole of Highway 12 through Grand Staircase Escalante is just one of those things that you have to see before you die. The Mrs and I agree that it's probably the best scenery anywhere - including the Grand Canyon.

We saw the dinosaur and Indian stuff - that really is an excellent visitors centre, and we got some photos of the petroglyphs, though they're hard to photograph well.

Not sure if we're going through Salt River Canyon - I hope so and we'll certainly look out for it.

Here are some shots of Capitol Reef:

- David Boston

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:12 pm 
Electric Sh33p
Electric Sh33p

Nice. We went off the trail to get better pics of the petroglyphs and were caught by a ranger who made us delete most of them. If you are headed to Phoenix and want some really good petroglyph pics, I can tell you of a spot (PM only!) that is secluded and has a ton. It's a bit of a walk through -a mile plus through the summertime Sonoran desert-but if you can handle it is worth it. I can post a couple of preview pics here if you want a sample before committing to it. Chances are you will be the only people there. Keep posting!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:39 pm 
Baa'd to the Bone
Baa'd to the Bone

These pictures are beautiful. Much appreciated.

"There is no conspiracy. Nobody is in charge. It's a headless blunder operating under the illusion of a master plan. Big Brother isn't watching you! Who do you think the establishment is? It's just guys like me. Their desks are bigger, but their jobs aren't. They don't conspire, they buy boats."
- dialogue from The Cube

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:12 pm 
Little Lamb
Little Lamb

Although Americans, like the Irish, generally use the spelling 'whiskey', Canadians, like the Scots, generally use the spelling 'whisky'.

Why were you surprised to find it good?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:54 am 
Slum Lord
Slum Lord

J-D wrote:
Although Americans, like the Irish, generally use the spelling 'whiskey', Canadians, like the Scots, generally use the spelling 'whisky'.

:-) Thanks for that!!

J-D wrote:
Why were you surprised to find it good?

I suppose i wasn't expecting it to be as good as it is. A mate turned me on to the 12 year old Canadian Club, which is excellent, but this is just the ordinary stuff.

- David Boston