The Sh33p's Fluff Message Board

A place for gathering wool...
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Crossada went to market
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:40 pm 
Sh34r Excellence
Sh34r Excellence

Racing ahead of the storm, like Tom Fury, Ray Bradbury's traveling lightning-rod salesman.

"The seller of lightning-rods arrived just ahead of the storm. He came along the street of GreenTown, Illinois, in the late cloudy October day, sneaking glances over his shoulder. Somewhere not so far back, vast lightnings stomped the earth. Somewhere, a storm like a great beast with terrible teeth could not be denied. So the salesman jangled and clanged his huge leather kit in which oversized puzzles of ironmongery lay unseen ... "

Except he had no lightning-rods (as such) to sell. Instead he bore a bundle of (even) more sinister wares to peddle. No, not guns. Swords. (Start at about 7:04 on the video's clock counter.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twur4jSsQu8

' Tom Fury, the friendly lightning-rod salesman, succumbs to his desire to gaze upon the Most Beautiful Woman in the World, and re-emerges in the novel as the carnival's squashed Dwarf. As such, he is one of the carnival's early victims. He is easily the target of reader sympathy since we see him first as a normal man and then later as a freak of the carnival. His character is a reminder that all the freaks of the carnival used to be normal people, which complicates the otherwise simple "good vs. evil" paradigm.

It's also interesting to note that the salesman had an inkling of what was coming – his claim that a storm was brewing can be read a veiled reference to the carnival – but was defenseless against it anyway.'

http://www.shmoop.com/something-wicked- ... -fury.html

' "Sahib," said the sword-dealer, "this blade, which came from far Singapore, has not its equal for sharpness in all Delhi."

He handed me the blade for inspection. It was a long krise, or Malay knife, with a curious boat-shaped hilt, and, as he had said, was very keen.'

http://www.eldritchdark.com/writings/short-stories/123/

Cross

"The practical reason for freedom is that freedom seems to be the only condition under which any kind of substantial moral fiber can be developed — we have tried law, compulsion and authoritarianism of various kinds, and the result is nothing to be proud of." -- Albert Jay Nock, "On Doing the Right Thing", in The American Mercury (1925)

‎"Men in a state of decadence employ professionals to fight for them, professionals to dance for them, and a professional to rule them." -- G.K. Chesterton

"No man is so exquisitely honest or upright in living, but that ten times in his life he might not lawfully be hanged." -- Montaigne

"But to live outside the law, you must be honest." -- Bob Dylan

"Unjust laws can be altered, as well as made. There's a new spirit in the world. Taxed out of existence, robbed of their independence by the government, the people must fight back how they can. What we're doing here is just a pin-prick. But a thousand pin-pricks put together ... " -- Christopher Syn

"Not in the flight of thought, but in the act alone is there freedom" - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire ... Must be a yearning deep in the human heart to stop other people from doing as they please. Rules, laws — always for the other fellow." -- Robert Heinlein

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:10 pm 
Slum Lord
Slum Lord

WTF?

"A great deal of Security is unfortunately just like the underwear of Brittany Spears. If it's even there at all, it is needlessly complex and frilly; looks good without actually covering much; and is far to easy to get around or remove completely."
- David Boston

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:48 pm 
Sh34r Excellence
Sh34r Excellence

It's a glimpse into how I think. The process. The way I see a lot of connections or relations and parallels -- a lot of dots to connect. It's kind of a free-form thing I do.

But, like they say about jokes, "If you have to explain it ... "

Also, there's something analagous to this literally going on with me now:

" I’m 76 and I’m very ill and like a sage old dog I can smell when certain signs are there.

We are trapped in a medical eddy, this mad meat house of medicine where we cannot get the help we need. I’m not a bag lady, I live in a particularly good house that I’ve been living in since 1966, but we don’t have anywhere near the chance of getting Marcus Welby to fix my problems. As a consequence we have to get some money and as time goes by you get more and more famous and less and less wealthy.

I literally have to start eating my past and turning into the actually dollar all of the artifacts that have made me who I am. I am eating my past."

-- Harlan Ellison, in a telephone interview, circa December 29, 2010

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/12/ ... ypewriter/

Although, of course, in my case the question is not if anyone would pay $40,000 for a typewriter that originally sold for $2, but whether anyone would pay more than $25 for a sword that originally sold for $250.

Cross

"The practical reason for freedom is that freedom seems to be the only condition under which any kind of substantial moral fiber can be developed — we have tried law, compulsion and authoritarianism of various kinds, and the result is nothing to be proud of." -- Albert Jay Nock, "On Doing the Right Thing", in The American Mercury (1925)

‎"Men in a state of decadence employ professionals to fight for them, professionals to dance for them, and a professional to rule them." -- G.K. Chesterton

"No man is so exquisitely honest or upright in living, but that ten times in his life he might not lawfully be hanged." -- Montaigne

"Unjust laws can be altered, as well as made. There's a new spirit in the world. Taxed out of existence, robbed of their independence by the government, the people must fight back how they can. What we're doing here is just a pin-prick. But a thousand pin-pricks put together ... " -- Christopher Syn

"Not in the flight of thought, but in the act alone is there freedom" - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire ... Must be a yearning deep in the human heart to stop other people from doing as they please. Rules, laws — always for the other fellow." -- Robert Heinlein

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:32 pm 
Slum Lord
Slum Lord

If you're going to ignore my several requests not to post quotefests, at least I'd ask you to have the courtesy to tell us what they fuck they mean - to give them a context.

"A great deal of Security is unfortunately just like the underwear of Brittany Spears. If it's even there at all, it is needlessly complex and frilly; looks good without actually covering much; and is far to easy to get around or remove completely."
- David Boston

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:43 pm 
Sh34r Excellence
Sh34r Excellence

Well, I'm in a bind similar to poor old Ellison's. I'm being forced to cannibalize my past.

Trouble is, I'm not famous or a national treasure like he is (or was), and most of the artifacts that made me who I used to be don't have much resale value, if they're marketable at all.

But today I got $4 for my little jade pyramid that sat on my coffee table for years. And I put some of the little figurines Mom collected, and two framed prints that had hung on her wall, on consignment.

The consignment place sells them for whatever they can get for them, and gives me half. Like the deal Rooster Cogburn made with the trading post dude in the 1969 version of True Grit. You know, where he brought in the bodies of the dead outlaws and told the trading post guy to sell the dead men's saddles and stuff and give him half. Same deal, pretty much.

Of course it all operates strictly on the honor system. They could easily cheat me if they want to.

Cross