The Sh33p's Fluff Message Board

A place for gathering wool...
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A Trivial Annoyance
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:14 pm 
Sh34r Excellence
Sh34r Excellence

Less than 2 hours ago I bought a meal for 5, was owed a little over $17 in change, got back $22 and I gave the extra $5 back which strangely annoyed the cashier. I don't know if he felt I was criticizing him by correcting a mistake or if he imagines I'm some goody two shoes or what but he yanked it out of my hand while glaring and said something rude about me into his mike as he turned away from me to (I presume) a drive-through customer. Maybe he was just stressed & rush (Saturday lunch hour, after all) so was in a bad mood.

But I know a couple of others who lost the job he has because the till came up too short (maybe he's not aware he's liable if he messes it up?). Actually, as far as I know he never put the money back (I presumed he did next he used the register, but maybe not...but then I presume he's going to have some 'splainin to do later), after all multiple fast food employees have been idiotic enough to upload vids of disgusting or scandalous acts on the job which cost them their jobs (and sometimes even got criminal charges filed against them) so keeping $5 probably seems quite reasonable (at least until they learn there's a reason registers and their money are carefully monitored).

I'll be honest with the next person but if he ever gives me back too much again I'm keeping the money. (Not that I'm inclined to go there at all, certainly not when it's just me.) I don't care that he wasn't grateful, but I sure didn't expect rudeness for it as if I'd done him wrong instead of right.

Not worth reporting though, unlike that scammer who worked a liquor store (until I and others reported her). And I'd feel too petty to make an issue out of it with anyone else, so aren't you the lucky ones in getting to learn about it instead. :o

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things: One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love." ~Butch Hancock

"A penis was not meant to go into a man's butt, but rather a womens." --excerpt from an illiterate rant to a gay rights page

"if you consider the fact that cats and dogs are of the same species you would still find it odd if a cat acted like a dog now wouldn't you" --from the same rant as above

Post subject: Re: A Trivial Annoyance
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:23 pm 
Sh34r Excellence
Sh34r Excellence

Oh, btw, while I'm reporting on the trivial details of my life, I'd have to say that while I normally consider it good business to hang up a sign congratulating the graduating class, I couldn't help but be bemused (and a tad bit disturbed) that one of the stores that did was the liquor store (same one with the scammer I just mentioned, btw). :o

(In the USA the legal drinking age is 21. Even so there's plenty of drinking in celebration of high school graduation sometimes followed by drunken teens at the wheel.)

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things: One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love." ~Butch Hancock

"A penis was not meant to go into a man's butt, but rather a womens." --excerpt from an illiterate rant to a gay rights page

"if you consider the fact that cats and dogs are of the same species you would still find it odd if a cat acted like a dog now wouldn't you" --from the same rant as above

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:10 pm 
Slum Lord
Slum Lord

If you're not already reading it, I suspect you'll enjoy this. :-)

"A great deal of Security is unfortunately just like the underwear of Brittany Spears. If it's even there at all, it is needlessly complex and frilly; looks good without actually covering much; and is far to easy to get around or remove completely."
- David Boston

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:49 am 
Sh34r Excellence
Sh34r Excellence

^^

Sadly, that reminded me of a bit. For example, one reminded me of when I tried a very poor Mexican restaurant (no one could speak English, I had to finally say "cuatro" and flash 4 fingers to order a meal). The food (and place in general) sucked so bad that I couldn't finish it and wasn't about to take the leftovers home as I'd normally do when I can't finish. But knowing the homeless (who are known to grab unattended food, even if they know the person isn't done with it) are much less choosy I put the plate on an outside table for them before tossing the rest. As I was going back in (to deal with the tray & dump the ice) I saw a customer out there grab my plate and take it to the trash. I told him to stop, that it was for the homeless, but he was obviously thinking of illegals (granted, there are plenty, and it wouldn't surprise me if the place itself was staffed by such) and said, "They steal our jobs" as he dumped it angrily. I told him he could've at least given it to a dog before leaving (it was in the trash, no point in raising a fuss over it then). I think that jerk would've wholly sympathized with those boys in "Cannot Speak The Language Of Respect."

The one who "could not see the currency" as well as remembering all the idiots I've known with higher education (due to the story of the guy who decided to pursue it for more respect) made me recall when I finally realized that I wasn't of average intelligence as I thought back on November 23, 2005 (yep, it stuck with me). A homeless cat I sometimes fed actually came to me for help on the 22nd with obvious symptoms, and doing online research I realized he had antifreeze poisoning, and I even knew the treatment for it (alcohol, which I found interesting as the reason it kills cats is because their liver tries to detoxify them but when it hits the antifreeze it becomes a toxin which then destroys their kidneys that created the symptoms I saw and eventually death). I called every vet in the phone book because it had to be treated FAST and November 24 was Thanksgiving in which the vets would be closed for the rest of the week. Yet every single one either wasn't interested (and no doubt impatient for their long weekend) or acted completely baffled by what I explained to them, what they should've known (even vet assistants typically have some college, and in any case should pick up enough from working there that they'd at least understand antifreeze poisoning). I told the last one who seemed utterly ignorant of what I spoke of that he needed to be treated now and I'd pay extra and she just said they were about to close "but if it's an emergency you can schedule an appointment on Monday." THAT was when I lost hope in humanity as I'd already explained to her (twice!) that if I was right then the cat would be dead by then, repeated that in a voice that revealed my despair and hung up on her. Knowing he didn't have a lot of time I just gave him a warm lap to sit in and after I believed he was in a coma I set him on a towel, checking on him frequently. He died in the wee hours of Thanksgiving before I went to bed.

The next day I went to a cat lady in the neighborhood who had a place where she buried cats and we buried him there. I told her my calling all the vets and my suspicion that maybe they only PRETENDED to be that ignorant so they could still get off for their long weekend at 5 (but ALL of them!?), though unquestionably, if they weren't the mind blowing idiots they came off as then they were definitely assholes devoid of compassion for strangers and/or animals (so why were they all working with vets?). But as a cat lady who also volunteered with a no-kill cat shelter she told me of her experiences that were even worse. And then I realized they (at least most of them) weren't just brushing me off by pretending to be stupid, they really were that stupid, and the higher education didn't do a damn thing for them save show they could jump through the hoops and thus get hired at presumably the job they wanted but were incompetent at. And that was the final straw that broke the camel's back for me and ever since I see most people as morons.

It just doesn't surprise me anymore. :-(

Though on the plus side, significantly lowering my expectations of humanity (in both benevolence and intelligence) has made it so I'm pleasantly surprised more than I ever been instead of continually disappointed.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:35 am 
Slum Lord
Slum Lord

Dervish wrote:
Though on the plus side, significantly lowering my expectations of humanity (in both benevolence and intelligence) has made it so I'm pleasantly surprised more than I ever been instead of continually disappointed.

"Blessed is s/he who has no expectations, for s/he shall not be disappointed."

Don't let it get to you, Dervish. There are more than enough assholes and psychopaths to go around, but there are also lots of genuinely good people.

Damned if I know how to balance it, but try not to lose sight of it.

"A great deal of Security is unfortunately just like the underwear of Brittany Spears. If it's even there at all, it is needlessly complex and frilly; looks good without actually covering much; and is far to easy to get around or remove completely."
- David Boston

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:35 pm 
Baa'd to the Bone
Baa'd to the Bone

Some of my favorite bits on Not Always Right are the "don't work here doesn't work here" series. I work in WalMart, but I am not a WalMart employee - and my job description specifically includes NOT helping WalMart's customers. I wear different colored clothes, a different looking name tag, and wear headphones around while I'm working. I still get stopped several times a day by people who want me to find something for them.

"There is no conspiracy. Nobody is in charge. It's a headless blunder operating under the illusion of a master plan. Big Brother isn't watching you! Who do you think the establishment is? It's just guys like me. Their desks are bigger, but their jobs aren't. They don't conspire, they buy boats."
- dialogue from The Cube

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:58 pm 
Slum Lord
Slum Lord

If you enjoy NotAlwaysRight, you'll enjoy this too.

- David Boston

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:10 pm 
Sh34r Excellence
Sh34r Excellence

Oh yeah, I don't know what it is but people ask for my help in a library (though if I ever took a "normal job" then my first choice would be as a librarian, and I've been a library volunteer before). But I've also noticed that some of the more absurd can't get help from the actual librarians anymore. Like back when I had to use the library to get online one woman asked me to help her find images of a certain star, so I got her what she was looking for while explaining how I got it. She then wanted me to keep helping her find image after image and when I told her I only had a half hour online and was checking messages rather than looking up pix of starlets she said she was "sick" and thus I was obligated to help her, but then a librarian stepped in and told her to leave me alone and later told me she was like that with everyone. Another one not only wanted me to find books for her but then find the info she was after. I tried to explain the index for her but she interrupted me with, "I'm not a librarian." After awhile I told her to go to the librarians for any further help and she said, "They won't help me anymore." I politely refrained from telling her that was because she was a mind boggling idiot that nobody could help.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:05 pm 
Slum Lord
Slum Lord

:lol: you should post that on not always right.

- David Boston

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:42 pm 
Sh34r Excellence
Sh34r Excellence

I may post at NAR later, don't know yet. But I thought I'd share something else

A year ago I helped someone put a bed frame together. It was tricky, but I figured it out and I did it despite his unhelpful suggestions. Once done I put it in place and then found out he was sleeping on 2 mattresses instead of one of the mattresses being a box spring. When I explained why he needed a box spring he got annoyed at me for not having told him that from the beginning and I honestly asked how I was supposed to know he didn't have one, everyone, I thought, knew about box springs. I asked if he ever had a bed before and he got real defensive saying of course he had. To calm him I pointed out that some people prefer futons, sleeping bags, couches with fold out beds (or even just couches) but he insisted he always had a bed, he just lost both his previous box spring & bed frame to "wear & tear" (he said mold and rust when I asked for details). And then he complained about having a useless bed frame when he didn't have room and asking me where he could find a box spring (he seemed less than pleased with my answers for some reason).

I was annoyed because I took the bus to get out there and spent time doing this as a favor to a friend, I didn't even get paid, and instead of thanking me he whines & complains and acts as if this is all my fault. Bad me, I decided to snoop to see if there was a reason for such stupidity and under the guise of getting some water I opened his fridge and saw an open case of beer and a 6 pack of beers in there and nothing else to drink (and I think I saw more beer in a drawer but I didn't risk taking a closer look). With the exception of sandwich stuff nearly everything was microwavable (and both fridge and microwave were filthy) and it looked like the really cheap stuff (maybe so he could afford the beer). IOW, I suspect alcohol poisoning to his brain.

And he also lost a tarp or something over the fence and wanted me to climb and get it for him since he was out of shape, and I'm sure the dogs encouraged him to stay on his side as well. I just picked up a rake within sight and fished it out for him without saying anything about it instead asking where the bed frame was that needed assembly. In retrospect I hope that really was his...

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:03 pm 
Sh34r Excellence
Sh34r Excellence

Hm, sounds like the contents of my 'fridge for the last (let's see, lemme do the math, nuthin' from nuthin', carry the nuthin' ... ), oh, 24 years or so. Except no more microwavable stuff anymore. I no longer have a functional kitchen, or even a usable microwave (except for its clock counter, which does keep good time).

I mean I can't heat anything up, at all. If I want any hot chow, I have to go out for it now. Can't even make coffee here anymore. If I want hot coffee, I have to go out for that too. Often, I get some to-go, and save it for the next morning, to drink cold when I get up. But I guess that's not so bad.

o/` I don't mind a lean old time
Or drinkin' my coffee cold ... o/` -- Gillian Welch, "Scarlet Town"

Mmm, beer ...

Cross

"The practical reason for freedom is that freedom seems to be the only condition under which any kind of substantial moral fiber can be developed — we have tried law, compulsion and authoritarianism of various kinds, and the result is nothing to be proud of." -- Albert Jay Nock, "On Doing the Right Thing", in The American Mercury (1925)

‎"Men in a state of decadence employ professionals to fight for them, professionals to dance for them, and a professional to rule them." -- G.K. Chesterton

"No man is so exquisitely honest or upright in living, but that ten times in his life he might not lawfully be hanged." -- Montaigne

"But to live outside the law, you must be honest." -- Bob Dylan

"Unjust laws can be altered, as well as made. There's a new spirit in the world. Taxed out of existence, robbed of their independence by the government, the people must fight back how they can. What we're doing here is just a pin-prick. But a thousand pin-pricks put together ... " -- Christopher Syn

"Not in the flight of thought, but in the act alone is there freedom" - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire ... Must be a yearning deep in the human heart to stop other people from doing as they please. Rules, laws — always for the other fellow." -- Robert Heinlein