A place for gathering wool...
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sky Whale
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:28 pm 
Slum Lord
Slum Lord

I thought you might enjoy this.

This year is my home town's centenary. As part of the celebrations they commissioned an artwork by a locally-born now internationally famous artist to design a hot air balloon.

The balloon, called the Sky Whale, was launched this morning. I love it!

Attachment:
whale.JPG
whale.JPG [ 126.44 KiB | Viewed 6432 times ]

Attachment:
crowd.JPG
crowd.JPG [ 150.95 KiB | Viewed 6432 times ]

Attachment:
reflection2.JPG
reflection2.JPG [ 116.68 KiB | Viewed 6432 times ]

Attachment:
bye bye.JPG
bye bye.JPG [ 125.3 KiB | Viewed 6432 times ]

"A great deal of Security is unfortunately just like the underwear of Brittany Spears. If it's even there at all, it is needlessly complex and frilly; looks good without actually covering much; and is far to easy to get around or remove completely."
- David Boston

Post subject: Re: Sky Whale
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:52 am 
Lulubelle
Lulubelle

Reminds me of the Wind Fish from The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:16 pm 
Sh34r Excellence
Sh34r Excellence

Just curious, what's going to happen to the balloon after the celebration?

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things: One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love." ~Butch Hancock

"A penis was not meant to go into a man's butt, but rather a womens." --excerpt from an illiterate rant to a gay rights page

"if you consider the fact that cats and dogs are of the same species you would still find it odd if a cat acted like a dog now wouldn't you" --from the same rant as above

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:24 pm 
Electric Sh33p
Electric Sh33p

Is it just me, or does that thing look like it has tits (or, at least, udders)?

(Sorry if I just put that thought in your head)

"Words to live by: instead of pointing fingers, you should always give the finger" Some Guy Named Joe.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:37 pm 
Lulubelle
Lulubelle

you know who wrote:
Is it just me, or does that thing look like it has tits (or, at least, udders)?

It's not just you. I first heard about it from an Australian friend of mine (over on Dreamwidth), and she had exactly that reaction.

Quote:
(Sorry if I just put that thought in your head)

I don't know if I'd have seen it without Ashie pointing it out, but since she did, I can't unsee it no matter how hard I try, and probably won't be able without major surgery. :lol:

"[T]he conservative impulse and the reactionary impulse do not, with some isolated and some ecclesiastical exceptions, express themselves in ideas but only in action or in irritable mental gestures which seek to resemble ideas."
-- Lionel Trilling, preface to The Liberal Imagination: essays on literature and society (1950)

"My heart is filled with love for this country." -- Barack Obama, last words before the acknowledgements of The Audacity of Hope (2006)

"I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it."
-- John Stuart Mill, in a Parliamentary debate with Conservative MP John Pakington; May 31, 1866

"Conservatism today has degenerated into a species of especially unattractive populism, pandering to the pro-torture-and-wiretapping, anti-gay-and-Mexican prejudices of a dwindling, increasingly sectarian, increasingly regional 'base.' Some who sympathize with libertarian and free-market causes are cheered by the anti-government rhetoric and Tea Party theatrics now increasingly in evidence on the right. Perhaps, they think, the old Goldwater-Reagan conservatism is making a comeback. Sorry, but I seriously doubt it. On the contrary, I worry that good free-market ideas are going to get tainted by association with an increasingly brutish identity politics for angry white guys and the women who love them."
-- Brink Lindsey, "The Closing of the Conservative Mind" (Cato@Liberty blog post, May 19, 2009)

"The way things are going, we can shorten Trilling's quote: the 'irritable mental gestures' remain, but they scarcely even 'seek to resemble ideas.'"
-- Tom Hull, "Irritable Mental Gestures" (blog post, February 6, 2010)

"The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all."
-- G.K. Chesterton, The Man Who Was Thursday: a nightmare (1908)

"Just the other day a friend and I came up with the most pernicious academic scheme to date for toppling the West: he will kneel behind the West on all fours. I will push it backwards over him."
-- Michael Bérubé, "Public Image Ltd." (The Village Voice, 1991)

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:07 pm 
Slum Lord
Slum Lord

Dervish wrote:
Just curious, what's going to happen to the balloon after the celebration?

I'm not sure. I understand that, though they city paid for it, we don't own it, so I assume that it'll just do what balloon people do and go around to the various balloon festivals and stuff.

I've only ridden in one once, but it was fun!

And yes - those are meant to be boobs. :-)

Of course not everyone likes it.

(That's Australia's parliament house being boobed).

"A great deal of Security is unfortunately just like the underwear of Brittany Spears. If it's even there at all, it is needlessly complex and frilly; looks good without actually covering much; and is far to easy to get around or remove completely."
- David Boston