The Sh33p's Fluff Message Board

A place for gathering wool...
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Daria Audio Show
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:58 pm 
Rack of Lamb
Rack of Lamb

Okay, so someone over at the PPMB (PrecambrianStudios) had the idea: what if we made a Daria audio show? Two months later, it came to fruition, and I'm making it available for those here at the SFMB, so that they may feast their eyes on it, hopefully in awe, as well. Full credits are in the description and at the end of the video. Enjoy! (And yes, this is the same SinisterExaggerator who was the audio editor and posted it.)

Presenting "The Game"--written by PrecambrianStudios

Post subject: Re: The Daria Audio Show
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:53 pm 
Slum Lord
Slum Lord

:D :D :D :D :D

Well done, SE!! Thank you!

And great job, everyone - congratulations!

"A great deal of Security is unfortunately just like the underwear of Brittany Spears. If it's even there at all, it is needlessly complex and frilly; looks good without actually covering much; and is far to easy to get around or remove completely."
- David Boston

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:01 pm 
Rack of Lamb
Rack of Lamb

By the way, there were many people signing up for the same parts that we made two of the same script. (We refer to it as the "pilot", but I think it's going to go along just well, if I do say so myself.)

Here's the second one! Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:29 pm 
Slum Lord
Slum Lord

SinisterExaggerator wrote:
By the way, there were many people signing up for the same parts that we made two of the same script. (We refer to it as the "pilot", but I think it's going to go along just well, if I do say so myself.)

Here's the second one! Enjoy!

I did!

Great work! :D

"A great deal of Security is unfortunately just like the underwear of Brittany Spears. If it's even there at all, it is needlessly complex and frilly; looks good without actually covering much; and is far to easy to get around or remove completely."
- David Boston

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:06 am 
Rack of Lamb
Rack of Lamb

EPISODE TWO IS HERE!

This is the censored version (there'll be an uncensored version uploaded later). This is based on Jeremy Garrett's fanfic Hot and Bothered, adapted for the show by OverlordMikey. Be forewarned, it's almost nine minutes long.

Incidentally, Precambrian emailed Doug Walker (AKA the Nostalgia Critic) about it--keep in mind, Daria is his favorite show. Imagine if we got an answer... :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:06 pm 
Little Lamb
Little Lamb

Just listened...pretty awesome!

Blue is my favorite color, but I want to burn all my blue shirts and khakis.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:43 pm 
Lulubelle
Lulubelle

Most impressive—but I must ask—
Sinister Exaggerator, what's your claim to fame?
Is still your favorite Ferlinghetti found in Auntie Mame? (Or has your taste in Beat poets gone with Daria towards Ginsberg's Howl, not parodied in any Broadway musical I know?)
Your alterlife is superseded only from above? Or have other recording considerations superseded even this?
Your heart is like a silken sponge that calls saliva love (waiting on a call from "Sick Sad World," I presume?)

(* * *)

I apologize if I've been the umpteenth person to riff on the lyrics, but I couldn't resist. But now I have your attention (that is, if I haven't antagonized you beyond answering), what microphones, gear, and software did you do to make this? Impressive!

That's just the fuckin' way it is.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:17 pm 
Rack of Lamb
Rack of Lamb

Scissors MacGillicutty wrote:
Most impressive—but I must ask—
Sinister Exaggerator, what's your claim to fame?
Is still your favorite Ferlinghetti found in Auntie Mame? (Or has your taste in Beat poets gone with Daria towards Ginsberg's Howl, not parodied in any Broadway musical I know?)
Your alterlife is superseded only from above? Or have other recording considerations superseded even this?
Your heart is like a silken sponge that calls saliva love (waiting on a call from "Sick Sad World," I presume?)

(* * *)

I apologize if I've been the umpteenth person to riff on the lyrics, but I couldn't resist. But now I have your attention (that is, if I haven't antagonized you beyond answering), what microphones, gear, and software did you do to make this? Impressive!

The contributors all sent in their lines to me individually, so I don't know what mikes they used--except in some cases where it was obvious they used a laptop mic, which I had to clean up. Mine is a unidirectional dynamic microphone from RadioShack, and I didn't use much of anything that could be construed as "gear" (I did when I was doing some prospective themes for it, but that's another story). The software was Audacity, pure and simple, just very carefully used. Did some trial and error with the noise removal function, for one thing, which definitely helped in the long run (especially in those aforementioned cases of laptop mics, the one exception being SacredDust--the narrator from "Hot and Bothered"--who, if I tried fixing it even in the slightest, would come out as if his voice were awkwardly robotic, like one track was just ahead of the other). All of this was done while on a rather high zoom for precision.

The only gear I used (the "not much of anything") was what I used to get down the Washington Post March for the first one, that being a record player, some cord (it was either the 1/8'' auxiliary line or the USB that came with the player) and a Sousa record (as in an actual LP here), recorded straight into the laptop. The great part about that is the fact that the song perfectly lines up with the football game--if you start it right after the narrator talks about the game, the last phrase plays right after the last line of dialogue. I tried to get the line with Upchuck getting hit as close as possible to the crescendo near the end.

Oh, and the answers to your first questions are, in order: proving the feasibility of using Russian Albino Squirrels to effect nutshots, no, yes, yes (but only when the azimuth is 60), yes (at even altitudes), and no, Sick, Sad World is waiting on me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:31 pm 
Lulubelle
Lulubelle

If anyone's interested, here are the very first takes SE did for the second episode. They're just a bit different than what wound up on the final product...

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8kynnl4986toa0b/SinisterExaggerator_-_Original_Alpha_Male.mp3