AN EXPLANATION AND PROGRESS REPORT
If you don't want the gory technical details, suffice it to say, yes, I'm working on it, and yes, you may see a board appear and disappear, but until somebody says so, PLEASE DON'T TRY TO POST.
Please, I'm begging you. If you wanna know why, then you're stuck with the gory technical details. Otherwise, thank you for your patience.
- Our version of phpBB was old as fuck and replied on php 5.3, also old as fuck. Site 5 unceremoniously stopped supporting php 5.3, causing the download whenever you tried to get to the board. Therefore: UPGRADE MADNESS FOLLOWS!
- Because our version of phpBB was so old (3.0.7PL1), a straight upgrade to the current version wasn't possible. phpBB says it is, but they're lying. Trust me, I tried.
- Simply going from our version to the one in between (3.1.10) was fraught with problems, too.
- These failed attempts at upgrades meant restoring the database. Those of you who remember the purge of fall '14 (I think) remember that a lot of problems stemmed from the fact that we have a YUUUUGE post table that can't be reloaded in one pass, so it has to be broken into several of them. This entails of lot of sitting around waiting for mysql.
- By following a link on an Italian support page for phpBB, I found distributions of phpBB versions 3.0.x greater than 3.0.7PL1—and finally got a clean upgrade to 3.0.12, which also plays nicely with php 5.5.
- Alas, this didn't upgrade cleanly to 3.2, so I restored the 3.0.12 database, and upgraded to 3.0.14, and tried to go to 3.2. Har de har har.
- So I'm gonna try to go from 3.0.12 -> 3.0.14 -> 3.1.10 -> 3.2.
It would be great if we could be at the lastest and greatest phpBB, but that might not be possible, but I want to try to get as close to it as I can. So that's where we're at, folks. Faced with no PPMB, I ask myself: What would Daria do? Duh, she'd read a book!
Again, thanks for your patience.
_________________"And when I fuckin' move, I slice like a fuckin' hammer."
That's just the fuckin' way it is.