A place for gathering wool...
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: PPMB is down again :-(
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:29 am 
Rack of Lamb
Rack of Lamb

Does anyone know what's going on? :(

"When the people around you are all one way and you're not, you can't help feeling like there's something wrong with you."--Lt. B'Ellana Torres from the "Lineage" episode of Star Trek: Voyager

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:54 am 
Mutton
Mutton

Hi Doc,
Sorry no idea but I'm gad it's not just me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:25 pm 
Little Lamb
Little Lamb

It wasn't me, if you're wondering. :?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:29 pm 
Rack of Lamb
Rack of Lamb

Well, it's back up now. No word as how it got down in the first place, though. :shock:

"When the people around you are all one way and you're not, you can't help feeling like there's something wrong with you."--Lt. B'Ellana Torres from the "Lineage" episode of Star Trek: Voyager

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:08 pm 
Mutton
Mutton

PPMB seems to be down again... or is it just me?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:48 pm 
Rack of Lamb
Rack of Lamb

peetz5050 wrote:

It's not loading at all for me. :?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:39 pm 
Lamb Chops
Lamb Chops

InvisibleDan wrote:
peetz5050 wrote:

Same here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:13 pm 
Sh34r Excellence
Sh34r Excellence

Princess_pasta wrote:
InvisibleDan wrote:
peetz5050 wrote:

Same here.

Ditto.

In other news, Trump threw a GBU43 at some ISIS fuckers in Afghanistan, apparently forgetting to ask Afghanistans president if it's okay for him to do that.

Yep, THAT Trump, whose supporters claimed Hillary would be the warmongering nutter.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:35 pm 
Sh33p Pig
Sh33p Pig

Location: That forgotten spot behind the sofa where I was accidentally kicked by Real Life's left hind leg
psychotol wrote:

In other news, Trump threw a GBU43 at some ISIS fuckers in Afghanistan, apparently forgetting to ask Afghanistans president if it's okay for him to do that.

Yep, THAT Trump, whose supporters claimed Hillary would be the warmongering nutter.

Yes, well, it's okay if their Vulgar Talking Yam God does horrible things, because he's doing it to protect the REAL Americans who believe in #MAGA from 'Them'...

(goes and takes a shot of Southern Comfort to wash the bad taste out of his mouth. No, really. I just did that.)

Because we know instinctively as a people that if we are to get through the darkness and back into the light we have to work together. And the truth is, there will always be darkness. And sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel isn’t the promised land. Sometimes it’s just New Jersey. But we do it anyway, together.

-Jon Stewart

"We have a right to fight for our country - the same as every other American. We will not go away."

-Col. A.J. Bullard (Terrence Howard), Red Tails

"If we can't protect the Earth - you can be damn well sure we'll avenge it."

-Tony Stark/Iron Man (Robert Downey, Jr.), The Avengers

"Sometimes you have to spontaneously break into song - right?" - Mack, from Teen Beach 2

The PSI Corps is your friend. Trust The Corps.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:24 pm 
Sh34r Excellence
Sh34r Excellence

For some reason hitting refresh downloads a PHP file. What's going on there?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:34 pm 
Little Lamb
Little Lamb

psychotol wrote:

I believe that means that the PHP interpreter process on the server is down. Either that or the webserver doesn't have a pointer to that process. Since the webserver doesn't know how to deal with PHP, it assumes the .php file is just a standard file, and offers it to the user. Of course, since PHP needs to be run on the server, that doesn't work.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:37 pm 
Little Lamb
Little Lamb

Brother Grimace wrote:
psychotol wrote:

Yes, well, it's okay if their Vulgar Talking Yam God does horrible things, because he's doing it to protect the REAL Americans who believe in #MAGA from 'Them'...

(goes and takes a shot of Southern Comfort to wash the bad taste out of his mouth. No, really. I just did that.)

Well, yeah. For the past eight years, they've been terrified that "REAL Americans" would never get to tell other people how to live again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:56 pm 
Rack of Lamb
Rack of Lamb

Well, since PPMB is still down, I just wanted to wish those who are observing the occasion a happy Maundy Thursday.

And, as per tradition, Queen Elizabeth II handed out the Maundy Money.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:03 am 
Rack of Lamb
Rack of Lamb

A blessed Good Friday to those observing the occasion today.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:32 pm 
Little Lamb
Little Lamb

DeacBlue wrote:
psychotol wrote:

I believe that means that the PHP interpreter process on the server is down. Either that or the webserver doesn't have a pointer to that process. Since the webserver doesn't know how to deal with PHP, it assumes the .php file is just a standard file, and offers it to the user. Of course, since PHP needs to be run on the server, that doesn't work.

Now it's just giving a 404 error.

Slightly more promising, I'm getting an "access denied" error when trying to load a test version of the PPMB that was set up several years ago.

"You're the moron who was voted off the island. Twice." -comment on Lawndale Online

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:52 pm 
Little Lamb
Little Lamb

Well, now it's saying..

Quote:
Friday, 16:51 EDT:

The Paperpusher's message board is currently unavailable due to technical issues. The hosting provider has been contacted, and we are waiting on a response.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:59 am 
Rack of Lamb
Rack of Lamb

A blessed Holy Saturday to those observing the occasion.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:14 pm 
Sh34r Excellence
Sh34r Excellence

It was back up for a bit, now it's back down again.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:40 am 
Sh34r Excellence
Sh34r Excellence

I tried to long on I think Friday. I got the strange "open file" that was strange. Several hours later I tried again and it looked back so I signed in, only it was like I wasn't signed in at all, though I was shown as being signed in. At that point I decided to give it some time.

I just tried again and this time it says this:

Quote:
The PPMB is Unavailable

Saturday, 15 April 2017 14:54 EDT:
The PPMB is still unavailable, but work is ongoing to bring it back up. You may intermittently see the board appear and disappear. We apologize for any problems or confusion.

Friday, 14 April 2017 16:51 EDT:
The Paperpusher's message board is currently unavailable due to technical issues. The hosting provider has been contacted, and we are waiting on a response.

At least that's hopeful.

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things: One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love." ~Butch Hancock

"A penis was not meant to go into a man's butt, but rather a womens." --excerpt from an illiterate rant to a gay rights page

"if you consider the fact that cats and dogs are of the same species you would still find it odd if a cat acted like a dog now wouldn't you" --from the same rant as above

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:36 pm 
Rack of Lamb
Rack of Lamb

Happy Easter to those who are marking the occasion. It's one of those rare years that the Protestant/Catholic Easter and the Greek Orthodox one are on the same day.

Also, 200 years ago yesterday, the Lake George Steamboat Company went into operation.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:32 pm 
Sh34r Excellence
Sh34r Excellence

PPMB wrote:
Check back 15th of December

Fuck.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:53 pm 
Little Lamb
Little Lamb

I hope that's left over from the last time the board got hosed.

"You're the moron who was voted off the island. Twice." -comment on Lawndale Online

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:40 pm 
Rack of Lamb
Rack of Lamb

It has to be because this was the latest message:

PPMB wrote:
Tuesday, 17 April 2017 14:55 EDT:
Due to changes with our hosting provider, the board will have to be upgraded to a new version of phpBB. We can't say how long this will take, but watch this space for further information.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:55 pm 
Lamb Chops
Lamb Chops

Of course it's down for an indefinite amount of time when I need to reread something I wrote and didn't save anywhere else. This is what I get for being dumb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:30 am 
Lulubelle
Lulubelle

AN EXPLANATION AND PROGRESS REPORT
If you don't want the gory technical details, suffice it to say, yes, I'm working on it, and yes, you may see a board appear and disappear, but until somebody says so, PLEASE DON'T TRY TO POST. Please, I'm begging you. If you wanna know why, then you're stuck with the gory technical details. Otherwise, thank you for your patience.

• Our version of phpBB was old as fuck and replied on php 5.3, also old as fuck. Site 5 unceremoniously stopped supporting php 5.3, causing the download whenever you tried to get to the board. Therefore: UPGRADE MADNESS FOLLOWS!
  • Because our version of phpBB was so old (3.0.7PL1), a straight upgrade to the current version wasn't possible. phpBB says it is, but they're lying. Trust me, I tried.
  • Simply going from our version to the one in between (3.1.10) was fraught with problems, too.
  • These failed attempts at upgrades meant restoring the database. Those of you who remember the purge of fall '14 (I think) remember that a lot of problems stemmed from the fact that we have a YUUUUGE post table that can't be reloaded in one pass, so it has to be broken into several of them. This entails of lot of sitting around waiting for mysql.
  • By following a link on an Italian support page for phpBB, I found distributions of phpBB versions 3.0.x greater than 3.0.7PL1—and finally got a clean upgrade to 3.0.12, which also plays nicely with php 5.5.
  • Alas, this didn't upgrade cleanly to 3.2, so I restored the 3.0.12 database, and upgraded to 3.0.14, and tried to go to 3.2. Har de har har.
  • So I'm gonna try to go from 3.0.12 -> 3.0.14 -> 3.1.10 -> 3.2.

It would be great if we could be at the lastest and greatest phpBB, but that might not be possible, but I want to try to get as close to it as I can. So that's where we're at, folks. Faced with no PPMB, I ask myself: What would Daria do? Duh, she'd read a book!

Again, thanks for your patience.

That's just the fuckin' way it is.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:30 am 
Mutton
Mutton

Thanks for all your gallant efforts. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:16 pm 
Lulubelle
Lulubelle

Further progress and setbacks:
  • 3.0.7PL1 => 3.0.12 OK!
  • 3.0.12 => 3.0.14 OK!
  • 3.0.14 => 3.1.10 FAIL, restore the DB you loser.
  • 3.0.14 => 3.1.0 FAIL, restore the DB you loser.

The 3.0.14 to 3.1.0 upgrade is the smallest incremental one between these versions. The fail is, again, due to the size of the post table. That upgrade involves some major surgery on it and the server times out. Also, there's no straightforward way to break up this task as it happens deep in the guts of the phpBB upgrade utilities. More info as it becomes available.

That's just the fuckin' way it is.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:12 pm 
Little Lamb
Little Lamb

Scissors MacGillicutty wrote:
Further progress and setbacks:
  • 3.0.7PL1 => 3.0.12 OK!
  • 3.0.12 => 3.0.14 OK!
  • 3.0.14 => 3.1.10 FAIL, restore the DB you loser.
  • 3.0.14 => 3.1.0 FAIL, restore the DB you loser.

The 3.0.14 to 3.1.0 upgrade is the smallest incremental one between these versions. The fail is, again, due to the size of the post table. That upgrade involves some major surgery on it and the server times out. Also, there's no straightforward way to break up this task as it happens deep in the guts of the phpBB upgrade utilities. More info as it becomes available.

We appreciate you trying to get this fixed so that it doesn't just happen again in a few months.